Sunday 24 May 2015

Life in a Metro!! An Overview...

 Okay, i have been so laid-back about writing lately, that im surprised that my blog hasn't been deactivated! No excuses! I'm not going to offer any excuse this time because I'm very enthusiastic about a new column that I'm going to start blogging about. Its called 'Life in a Metro'. Well, that introduction was way too abrupt. So not my style ! So let me get into this from the beginning- How I conceived the very idea of the column, and why its going to be fun for you guys to read through this!

Every writer faces a creative block at one point or the other; I must confess that its most frustrating not to have anything to write about! Its like staring at a blank wall like an idiot, waiting for something good to just pop in your head, but well, nothing does so you continue staring into that blank space remorselessly. So, yes, I was experiencing this dull empty block in my head owing to the rut of college, office, and home! But paradoxically, it is this routine that made me realize the full potential of my new column..

When I say "Life in a Metro", I DO NOT mean Anurag Basu's movie!! No, you may not find tales of unrequited love, cruel competition and stifling lives of struggling corporate workers in a metropolitan here- and on the other hand you may discover way way more than that through this column; What I'm really talking about is Dilli ki Jaan- The Delhi Metro! Still confused? Let me clear this up!

In these four years of under graduation from NIFT Delhi, I may have made thousands of trips on the metro already. I literally do not feel the need to learn to drive, because of this wonder train! Also, by car you can forget about travelling to Chandni Chowk, Sadar Bazaar and the curious little haunts of Delhi without getting your brains on fire! The heaving discomfort of parking your car into a tiny space, amidst the yells of locals and the crazy honking of belligerent vehicles, all packed in the same narrow lane, is too much for my heart to take! No, such acts are for those patient souls who pay the price for owning a car! Till the time I don't own one, I will avail of this trustworthy service which I believe is the backbone of Delhi transport.

The metro has brought me closer to 'Delhi" and got me acquainted with places that I wouldn't have ever been to otherwise. Today, if I decide to hop in a metro and go to a Godforsaken place in Delhi to get some work done, my mom will never object- she knows that if there is anything 'safe' in Delhi its the Metro..

And why is the Metro the hot topic of my column again? Well, if you truly and very minutely observe, the metro is a reflection on Delhi and its Delhiites. Culture, values, funny stories, crazy aunties, lechy men, pole dancing kids; the concoction of curious elements makes for a great eye opener on what Delhi means to me...

From today, I start blogging on my unusual, sometimes cocky experiences on this wonder train, and before i start this incredible journey, I'll thank all those anonymous people on the metro who have inspired me enough to get this column going! And lastly, I hope my ode to the Metro proves to be fascinating and captivating to my readers, and please do feel free to write about your experiences on this wonderful service as the blogging  continues!
 Cheers! Let's get this started!
:)


3 comments:

  1. All the best! :)
    Cheers, Archana - www.drishti.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Archana for your wishes! :)
      Cheers,
      Mallika!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete